Building and Codes Division
The question often arises as to just when a building permit is required.
A building permit is required when you construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or when you erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system that is regulated by the technical codes.
Here are some projects for which a permit is required:
- New sign installations or replacement
- Decks and Patios
- Air Conditioner installations or replacement
- Furnaces & heating equipment, Fireplaces, wood stoves
- Swimming pool installation or restoration
- Hot tubs, new shower enclosures, new bath tubs
- Balcony enclosures
- Hurricane shutters
- Interior remodeling
- Window replacement/alteration
- Door replacement/alteration
- Any plumbing modification
- Any electrical modification
- New siding
- Soffit, fascia and gutters
- Balcony railings restoration
- Drop ceilings
- Garage, carports, enclosures
- Satellite dishes
- Tree removal
- Vegetation removal
- Stucco or exterior finishings
- Retaining walls
- Exterior Painting
If you have any questions regarding permit requirements, please call 386-763-5377.
Concrete Restoration Project Owners' Guide
If your building is in need of concrete restoration, please download the helpful guide to take you step by step in the process. Concrete restoration is often a long-term, costly project and the Building Department is there to assist you in any way possible.